Lentils and fragrant chicken combine for a gluten free meal, high with protein, low in fat and light on the pocket.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 185g (1 cup) french green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 435ml (1 3/4 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- large pinch of sea salt
- 4 (about 150g each) chicken breast fillets
- steamed broccolini and snow peas, to serve
- balsamic vinegar, extra, to serve
- baby herbs, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and carrot, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and thyme. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Add lentils and stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40-45 minutes, partially covered, or until lentils are just tender. Stir through vinegar. Season. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200c/180c fan forced. Grind fennel, cumin and sea salt using a mortar and pestle until coarsely crushed. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with the spice mixture.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Spray with olive oil. Cook chicken for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray. Roast for 12 minutes or until cooked through. Serve with lentils and vegies. Drizzle with vinegar. Top with herbs.