The crisp flavours of this salad are just perfect for the warmer weather ahead.
- 1 lebanese cucumber
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1/2 small (about 300g) chinese cabbage (wombok) (see note)
- 200g marinated tofu (see note), thinly sliced (we used a teriyaki-flavoured tofu)
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup each mint and coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch of ground szechuan pepper
For the dressing, place sugar and vinegar in a small pan over low heat and stir for 1 minute until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes until syrupy. Pour into a heatproof bowl, cool for 10 minutes, then stir in soy, sesame and szechuan pepper.
Meanwhile, cut cucumber and carrot into thin matchsticks and place in a bowl. Finely shred cabbage and add to bowl with tofu, spring onion and herbs. Pour over the dressing and toss to combine, then serve.