These low-cal, low-fat and gluten-free bites are the sweetest treats.
- 40g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 270ml can Ayam Premium Coconut Milk
- 2 limes, rind finely grated, juiced
- 30g (1/4 cup) almond meal
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- Finely grated lime rind, extra, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line a 24-hole, 1 tbs-capacity mini muffin pan with paper cases. Place the chocolate, coconut oil, 1/4 cup of the maple syrup, 1 1/2 tbs of the coconut milk and the juice and rind of 1 lime in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until melted and smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Stir the almond meal, cacao powder, coconut flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and egg yolks into chocolate mixture. Use electric beaters to beat egg white and coconut sugar in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Fold half the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining egg white mixture until just combined. Spoon among prepared pans. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, for the frosting, combine the remaining coconut milk, maple syrup, lime rind and juice in a bowl. Place the boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Sprinkle with the gelatine. Whisk to dissolve. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Slowly whisk gelatine mixture into coconut mixture until combined. Place in the fridge for 3 hours, to set.
Use electric beaters fitted with a whisk attachment to whisk the coconut mixture until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with plain nozzle. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm. Pipe on top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with extra lime rind and serve immediately.